Welcome to the new site…

It’s been a long time coming, but I’ve finally completed moving the content from the old site, which ran phpWebsite, into WordPress, a more flexible solution for this site. phpWebsite served us well for nearly five years, but it’s time to move on.

What this means to users is that you’ll need to login in order to post to the new Forums, comment on any posts or update your user information. Underneath the camera lens on the right is a User Menu that you can always use to login.

If you have problems logging in, such as an invalid password or username, you should first try logging in with your user name in all lower case letters. If you still can’t log in, then you should trying clicking on the Lost your password? link on the login page. If you don’t receive an e-mail, it could be that you originally signed up with a different e-mail address that no longer exists and the server was unable to contact you with login information. If you have any problems logging in, contact us so we can work it out.

In addition, some rules have been imposed to keep things in perspective:

1. You must be logged in to post comments;
  2. You must be logged in to post in the forums;

You should note some other changes. The lists of Stations on the Air have been combined with the list of DTV channel number allocations. The call letters of the stations we know are on the air are shown in green, the network of those stations that broadcasts at least some HD are in purple and the stations we know are multi-casting are listed in Red. We are mostly familiar with the stations in Oklahoma City so we’re relying on the users here to let us know which stations in other markets are multicasting.

We value your contributions, but I have removed the ability for users to submit posts. If you have something you believe worthy of the home page, then use the Contact Us under the user menu. So long as you are logged in, you should be able to post and respond to the forums immediately. The forums are the place where you are likely to get the quickest and most accurate response so this is actually better than before. For those items with broad interest, we’ll elevate them to the front page.

Another really big new feature are the RSS feeds. By subscribing to posts, comments or the entire site you can keep up with new posts without having to clog your e-mail or continuously visit the site. Just subscribe to the feeds and you’ll be notified when new things are added.

So, we hope you enjoy the site and continue to contribute to the digital television transition by sharing your experiences.

This entry was posted in Administration. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted June 16, 2006 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I had a small glitch that prevented people from posting, but I think that’s worked out now, so long as you are logged in.

2. Posted June 17, 2006 at 12:22 am | Permalink

We got it out here. Just to let everyone know there is more content to come…

3. DigitalGuy
    Posted June 17, 2006 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Looks great so far. Thanks for your hard word and continued support of a localized forum.

DigitalGuy

4. brhd84
    Posted June 17, 2006 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Site looks great. Good luck with it, great information.

5. Bobarino
    Posted June 17, 2006 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

The new site seems quicker. Is it running on new hardware or is it just the change in software that is responsible.

6. Posted June 17, 2006 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Nope, same hardware and operating system, just new software.

The old site ran phpWebsite 0.8.3, which, among other things, had some well known security issues. I have other sites running newer versions of phpWebsite, but it runs even slower than the version that was running this site.

It wouldn’t have been all that easy going from the earlier version to a newer version of phpWebsite and the site would have been a lot slower than it even was. Switching to WordPress was a no brainer because of its feature set and wide availability of open source plug-ins.

I used WordPress to teach a journalism class at OSU last Spring and was very pleased with how things turned out in the end. Because I’m teaching this class again in the Fall and Spring, it was a no brainer to convert the old site to WordPress to leverage my experience with it on other projects and I’m happy with the performance for now.

7. MWB
    Posted June 18, 2006 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I think there may still be a problem with regular members not being able to post in the forums. I’m logged in, and I can see where it says “Post New Topic,” but there’s nothing that I can click on.

Other than that, the new site looks terrific. Thanks for all the work you put into it.

8. Posted June 18, 2006 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I\’ve got that fixed. Anyone who is a registered user, not just an administrator, should be able to create new topics and post responses in the forums now. 🙂

Sorry for the glitches, but this is a pretty radical transition.

9. mcca59
    Posted July 3, 2006 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Since the Today Show is building a new set, does anyone know if they have plans to go HD?

10. Posted July 3, 2006 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

With Good Morning America now in HD, I would bet the other networks won’t be far behind.

11. skibum
    Posted October 24, 2006 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Sean Mitchell, owner of “On Site Audio/ Video”, Was killed in a
    tragic accident on Sunday at Grand Lake.
    I dont know if anyof you knew Sean but he was a dear friend and will be greatly missed.
    Sean taught me alot an the A/V buiness, I owe it to him for me being where I am today.
    God bless you Sean.

12. trueview
    Posted November 23, 2006 at 9:58 am | Permalink

did OETA do an all prime time HD last night? I watched just enough to see what they were broadcasting at 7:00 PM and again at a quarter past nine and it was widescreen.

On evenings that they elect to go multiplex all4 “channels” why do they use letter box which is surrounded in black on four sides on my screen {if your screen is 4:3 you see only top and bottom blacked out}? What problem would it be to include the code that causes widescreen displays to fill out the screen? Even if it is not HD ~ and some programs are not HD even after saying it is OETA-HD ~ at least the entire screen would be filled.

13. mzokc
    Posted November 23, 2006 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

What happened to the HD coverage on KFOR-DT? Viewing channel 4-1 remotely using the Slingbox showed no HD. The program was broadcast in full HD over Comcast cable in Park City, Utah in the Mountain time zone at 9 AM MST. The only problem was the rain on the camera lens and the sound dips when bands would cause an audio limiter to lower the volume.

How disappointing for Oklahoma to get short changed again for the second year in a row.

14. bhawes
    Posted February 6, 2007 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Cox is going to give out antennas in the next 30 days. When I paible bill I was told that you will pick up locals like ABC, FOX, and WB with a antennas. The guy told me the antenna will cost 30.00 and they would have someone froll. I also believe you will get a new HD DVR with a OTA input with the cable box to connect to the antenna.

15. Danny22
    Posted October 17, 2007 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

When will DISH NETWORK get local channels in TULSA???