16×9 Next Year?

Bruce writes:

This entry was posted in Equipment, Production, Programming. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Mikey
    Posted April 10, 2008 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Stations are not being forced to broadcast in HD next year, they are being forced to broadcast in digital, and turn off the analog signal.

If a program is HD, it will probably be in 16×9 format. If not, it will probably be sent in 4×3 format. Just as they are doing now with all their digital programming.

If you want everything widescreen, you’ll still have to stretch the 4×9 programs. Personally, I hate stretching. I’d rather put up the grey sidebars.

2. mdeatherage
    Posted April 10, 2008 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Unless it’s on KFOR-DT, in which case, if a program is in HD, it will be sent in 4X3 format for absolutely no reason, just like My Name Is Earl and 30 Rock were tonight, because KFOR really just doesn’t give a crap about its viewers or advertisers.

Otherwise, spot on.

3. Mikey
    Posted April 11, 2008 at 7:39 am | Permalink

… Otherwise, spot on.

Well, not really. I should have said to stretch the 4×3 shows if he wanted to, not 4×9. What an odd aspect ratio that would be.

4. soonertoad
    Posted April 11, 2008 at 10:12 am | Permalink

When broadcast changes to HD will local programing be in wide screen or will it remain in 4:3 format? I have a wide screen TV and it would be nice to have everything in wide screen…”

I would not expect any innovation from our local channels. They will be at the tail end of herd as usual. Look to see what other television stations around the nation do locally, wait for a few years and we will get it in Oklahoma.

5. ssimpson
    Posted April 11, 2008 at 11:30 am | Permalink

No doubt, KFOR is horrible. I’ve emailed them everytime they swap the signal. Last week the first 2 minutes of “My name is Earl” was in HD then they hit the switch and it went. These stations that adervtise Doppler HD and the Skycam HD is a bunch of garbage too. Get with it OK.

6. MWB
    Posted April 11, 2008 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I called KFOR last night, about halfway through Earl. I’m usually not assertive enough to do something like that, but there was no way I’d be able to watch the first new Office since November in SD without trying to do something about it first. I finally got someone on the phone, and he said “we’re working on it–he’s gonna flip the switch for you.” Half an hour later, with just minutes to spare before The Office, they finally flipped that switch. I was glad to be able to watch the new episode in glorious HD.

7. zenithtv
    Posted April 11, 2008 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

KFOR is piss poor sd crap puke green video 1970’s news channel tube type electronics!
    KTEN is 1000% better nbc station!

Posted April 11, 2008 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

KJRH is awesome now with all their newscasts in glorious hd. I hated their picture quality for the last year but it has improved since they started their own hd broadcasts. At least KOTV and KOKI can put the weather graphics over the HD feed now and not drop hd totally. Unfortunately they just pre-empt programming altogether now and go full time weather.

9. mdeatherage
    Posted April 17, 2008 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Sigh. KFOR showed “My Name is Earl” in HD tonight for all of 65 seconds before they woke up and realized they hate their viewers and advertisers, and dropped it to the area’s worst SD picture to put up the weather map.

KFOR 4-2, the 24/7 Weather Channel, has no weather map, no information about severe storms, and appears to be covering weather in Oregon right now.

So, once again, as they have almost every week for the past four years, they take 4-1 out of hi-def to show weather, when everyone who can get 4-1 also gets 4-2, a dedicated 24/7 weather channel, that has absolutely no information about current weather conditions.

Dennis, when does KFOR’s license come up for renewal, and how do we comment on it? Would it be appropriate to post a list of local advertisers who get victimized by this crap because people give up on KFOR and watch the shows on hulu?

10. Posted April 17, 2008 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Ugh! I looks like all the renewals for Oklahoma come up in 2014.

Because I teach on Thursday nights, I’m always glad to find out in advance that ‘Earl’ wasn’t in HD so I don’t waste my time and can save the hard drive space by deleting it immediately without watching.

Hopefully, by the time July rolls around, these episodes will be in HD and I can enjoy them then.

11. MWB
    Posted April 19, 2008 at 12:10 am | Permalink

God, I hate Channel 4. There is not one single thing they do that the other stations don’t already do a better job of. Except, of course, for “not giving a crap about broadcasting in HD.” KFOR is aces when it comes to that.

I’ve said it before, I’m saying it now, and I’m sure I’ll have to say it again: I’d give anything for The Office to move to some other network. Never happen, but how nice that would be.

12. mdeatherage
    Posted April 19, 2008 at 4:13 am | Permalink

“The Office” doesn’t have to move to another network. The New York Times sold KFOR and other TV stations last year to an ownership group that includes several other stations around the country. But in San Francisco, Dallas, and other cities, there have been network shakeups in the past two decades that moved networks from one channel to another in a broadcast area.

More specifically, Sinclair could have purchased KFOR and sold KOCB to make up for it. I heartily disagree with Sinclair’s politics (as exhibited in 2004), but their local engineers can run their two stations with their eyes closed, both in 720p (KOKH) and 1080i (KOCB). The only HD burp I remember on either channel in the past year and a half (at least, that lasted more than 60 seconds) was last month, when KOCB delayed “Smallville” for two days to show the Big 12 MBB tournament on Thursday instead. When they aired “Smallville” on Saturday, it was in letterboxed SD.

But you never see useless weather maps or “SD-for-no-reason” on “American Idol” or “Smallville” or “House” or “Supernatural.” KFOR, on the other hand, can’t let any show in the top half of the Nielsen ratings air in HD because apparently Mike Morgan starts to feel unloved.

Admittedly, Sinclair would be unlikely to trade KOKH and KOCB for KFOR and KAUT (since the same company owns both stations in both cases), but it would be nice if KFOR’s current ownership would sell to a company that actually cares about competent TV station management.