DXing

David Moran writes:

I live in Norman and am interested in DXing. If I buy a DTV converter box, how likely is it that I would be able to pull in KTEN and/or KXII? Thanks.

This entry was posted in Equipment, Oklahoma City. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. rickster
    Posted May 22, 2008 at 8:54 am | Permalink

I live near SE48th and Highway 9.
    With a DB2 antenna, from Antennas Direct, in the attic, I can get both in the morning and evenings, maybe 50% of the time. One of these days I might put it up on my 52′ tower. Here at home I get KXII on 12-1 etc. On my lake TV I get KXII on 20-1 etc (their digital channel assignment). The KXII engineer says they have a TV in the studio that does that too, Go figure ??

2. JWVoiceovers
    Posted May 22, 2008 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

KTEN’s signal comes from Wapanucka, Oklahoma, while KXII’s comes from Madill. Not sure about KTEN’s engineering specs, but KXII’s DTV antenna is currently side-mounted on their tower, but after Feb 2009, they will move it to the top, and change from their UHF Channel 20 assignment, back to VHF Channel 12 for their DT signal.

Posted May 22, 2008 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I believe KXII will begin moving the antenna’s around in September, as they have permission to shut down their analog completely in September and will be digital only as they swap things around

4. Posted May 24, 2008 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I’m unfamiliar with the term DXing. Would someone explain it to me, please? Thanks.

5. rickster
    Posted May 25, 2008 at 8:52 am | Permalink

DXing means searching for distant stations.
    The term originated by amateur radio stations(HAM) searching for distant countries to communicate with.
    DXing is done for TV, FM, AM, shortwave radio, HF, VHF, UHF, and microwave stations to name a few.
    Regards Rick K9KK

6. Bobarino
    Posted May 27, 2008 at 6:37 am | Permalink

For a lot of people DXing just means trying to pick up KOCO from Norman or Tuttle. 🙂

7. Sooner Al
    Posted June 16, 2008 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Check this post out from the AVS forums for one persons experience with long distance reception…