Magnavox Blu-Ray Player at Wal-Mart

I was at Wal-Mart in Moore the other night and I saw this $300 Magnavox profile 1.1 Blu-Ray player. I like the idea of cheaper Blu-Ray players coming out to help drive down prices and push the format to consumers but why not just get a PS3 for $100 more.

This entry was posted in Blu-Ray, Commentary, Equipment, Sightings. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. mscott
    Posted June 20, 2008 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Wal-mart was also recently offering a $100 giftcard for those purchasing a PS3. Given that the PS3 is Blu-ray profile 2.0 compliant, it was an easy choice for me — even though I never intend to play games with my console.

2. zenithtv
    Posted June 20, 2008 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Magnavox = Funai JUNK from CHINA! Beware of Garbage!

3. Sooner Al
    Posted June 21, 2008 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Personally my wife and I are going to buy a Wii and purchase a separate Bu-Ray DVD player. My youngest grandson has a Wii connected to his dad’s 50 inch Panasonic Plasma HDTV (we also have one) and it was spectacular.

The east side Walmart here is Norman is also carrying a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player, in addition to the Magnavox device, for $400 if I remember correctly.

4. Posted June 22, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I am wanting to get a Wii also for my daughter. I will get a Blu-Ray player at some point but I don’t know if I want to get a PS3. I already have an XBOX.

5. Sooner Al
    Posted July 15, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I was on Walmart this morning here in Norman at the east side store and noticed they are also no carrying a Panasonic Blu-Ray DVD player in addition to the Sony and Magnavox Blu-Ray DVD players.

6. Posted July 15, 2008 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Was that the Panasonic DMP-BD50K model? According to the New York Times, that’s the only Blu-Ray player, other than the PS3, that supports the Live technologies…

7. Sooner Al
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I did not get a chance to check the model. If I do in the next few days I will post it…

8. Sooner Al
    Posted August 1, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Well, I finally remembered to look at the model of the Panasonic Blu-Ray player here in the east side Norman store. It is a Panasonic DPM BD30 and is priced at $428.