Feb 17th DTV Transion is Here

The time has finally come for the 1st part of the DTV transition to now become reality. If you have a digital tv or a converter you will need to do a rescan for digital tv channels today.

In the Oklahoma City area KWTV-DT is moving its DTV channel from 39 to 9 at 1:00 PM. KETA-DT is moving from 32 to 13 also at 1:00 PM. KAUT is shutting down its analog transmitter at 1:00 PM but is staying at channel 40. KOKH-DT, and KOCB-DT are shutting down their analog transmitter 11:59 PM tonight but are not changing any of their DTV channel assignments. KFOR, KSBI, KOCO will keep their analog transmitter running.

I am not sure if their are any channel assignments being moved in Tulsa. If someone would like to post anything in the comments we will add them to this post.

In Lawton KWSO is shutting down its analog transmitter freeing up channel 7. Yahoo!

OETA broadcast stations in Oklahoma City and Tulsa are making the switch today but the stations in Cheyenne and Eufala, as well as rural translators, will continue broadcasting analog signals until June 12, 2009.

After you do your rescans let us know how your signal is for all your DTV channels.

Update: The Oklahoma has an article on today’s DTV switchover.

Update 2/18/2009: The Oklahoman has an article on the post DTV transition yesterday.

This entry was posted in DTV Switchover, OETA, Oklahoma City, Production, Programming, Sherman-Ada, Sightings, Tulsa, Wichita Falls/Lawton. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Posted February 17, 2009 at 8:47 am | Permalink

In Tulsa KOTV and KQCW are shutting down analog at 1pm. KOTV will however remain on digital channel 55 as they still have work to do before moving to full power on digital channel 45.

KQCW will drop analog on channel 19 and digital 6.2 and go to it permanent digital channel on 20.1

OETA will cease analog on Channel 11 and move to digital channel 11 at 1pm.

KMYT will cease analog at 11:59 and remain on digital channel 42.

KJRH,KTUL and KOKI will continue analog for the foreseeable future.

2. Posted February 17, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Quote from above entry: “KOTV will however remain on digital channel 55 as they still have work to do before moving to full power on digital channel 45.”

OK, here’s a question for those who know: Once KOTV in Tulsa, for example, starts broadcasting on UHF digital channel 45, does it have to change what it calls itself?

That is, can it legally continue to call itself KOTV channel 6 after that? Or must it start calling itself KOTV 45 from that point? If not, why not?

3. Posted February 17, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Apparently, KWTV and KETA both went off the air at 1 p.m. as scheduled. When I got home from lunch, their digital stations had changed to the new VHF stations once I rescanned. Oddly, my rescan only found one KSBI-DT channel, 52-2. Everything else seems OK…

4. Stan in HD
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Well, that was exciting. I was watching KWTV Ch 9 and at exactly 1:00 p.m. without a “See ya bye” or “adios”, WHAMY there was nothing.

Whoa, but wait except I’m on Dish TV Network and my Channel 9 HD went to a green screen. Changing to the Ch 9 SD on Dish has a purple screen. Same for OETA Ch 13. Well, I just got off the phone with the Dish Techs and they said that they ARE “DTV ready” and that was not supposed to happen.

The tech person said they were getting the same reports for the PBS station in Oklahoma City. The tech had me change a couple of satellite settings but it is still green and purple. Then she says, “Those colors are weird, we are only supposed to have snow, black, or blue.” In the mean time PBS Ch 13 in SD did come back on my Dish channel, but still no Channel 9 in SD or HD.

So anyway, after 35 minutes on the phone, all she could do at this point is say the engineers are supposed to be working on it. Sigh.

5. Posted February 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Dennis,

What kind of signal strength are you getting now that KWTV-DT and KETA-DT are now on the VHF band?

Kevin

6. Posted February 17, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

It’s the same for both channels, about 87 percent on my Dish 211K receiver in Stillwater. On my EyeTV receiver, I’m getting about 80 percent, but Signal Quality is 100%, whatever that means. KOCO-DT is about 75 percent, which seems a little higher than normal, but I haven’t really looked at these numbers in a long time. You either get the signal or you don’t.

7. Posted February 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Does anyone have any confirmation that KOCO will indeed increase their signal strength??

If so when. I am ready to drop cable as I only keep basic so I can get KOCO in QAM as OTA is flaky in yukon as in other areas.

8. Posted February 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Stan,

I saw the same thing at work with KWTV on Dish Network, at about 3PM they came back on the air.

9. Stan in HD
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Yes, I saw the channels come back on the Dish Network. First the SD channel a little before 3:00 pm and then the HD channel a few minutes after 3:00 pm (CST). Its a good thing the engineers got it corrected before folks started coming home from work, otherwise it would have started a new rash of phone calls to the Dish Network Techs.

I’m curious how bad the phone banks lit up at KWTV 9 and OETA 13 after the 1:00 pm cut-off with people that did not have anything ready for the switch.

I will add this about signal strength, I’m just judging by the reception on another on-air HDTV set, (yes, I’m two HDTV household) I have not had any drop outs or pixelations on KWTV 9 since the cut-over.

10. Posted February 17, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Yes it is a good thing someone over at news9.com posted.

“I was told by your switchboard operator that the problem was on Dish Network’s end… that Ch. 9 had sent in all the required information to them several weeks ago.”

It would not surprise that Dish Network probably dropped the ball somewhere with all the local channels that they support.

11. Stan in HD
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

HEY, I just noticed: NO MORE ANALOG CUT OFF WARNING crawling across the bottom of the screen.

Well, this DTV thing is getting better.

12. sbreshears
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

OK…so i have no HD Signal for KWTV…but do have SD signal, anyone else seeing this….

13. mzokc
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

The HD TiVo needed some reprogramming before tonights normally scheduled recordings. The method of rescanning was unique to say the least.

We cannot use a work PC for accessing a Slingbox, so I used a laptop in the car with an aircard to wirelessly access the Slingbox through the internet to “press” the TiVo remote control viewable on the laptop screen. At just after 1:00 pm OETA switched from UHF 32 to VHF 13 and the screen showed no signal. I started the scan for digital channels and it took about 15 minutes with over 300 channels found! (The HD TiVo picked up QAM digital cable channels. I have NO CableCards in the TiVo. This was not supported in the past and must have been added in a update.)

The stations were not visible until I entered the channel list and deselected the old ones and checked the new ones. While channel 9 and 13 were now visible, the name of the station was different and programming guide information would only appear on the original “dead” channel. I checked a few QAM channels and sure enough, they are now viewable (with no TiVo program information.)

To make sure that OETA programming would be recorded tonight, I added some manual programming by time and channel. Signal strength was at 89 for KOCO with similar numbers for OETA and KWTV.

Hopefully the TiVo data will start appearing on the correct channels soon. I may have to go into the “To Do List” and make other changes. More QAM testing will be accomplished tonight. Thank goodness we didn’t have to wait until June 12th for the UHF to VHF digital change in Oklahoma City.

Posted February 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Hopefully we get some CW HD in Tulsa now as KQCW is now on its own transmitter at digital channel 20 (19.1). It is still a subchannel on 6.2 also at the moment.

All the other stations have scanned back in and seem to be working great in Tulsa.

15. Posted February 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

I got all my boxes rescanned. My Vista Media Center was the most difficult. I had to delete the KWTV and KETA listing in this file “astcchannels.xml”. Then I had to add the DTV channels 9-1 and 13-1 manually.

My DirecTV HD Tivo box (yes I still have it) did a solid job scanning the channels. I am in Moore now and even my KOCO-DT was up higher than I have ever seen it.

Posted February 18, 2009 at 4:42 am | Permalink

KOKH is now gone from the translators in western Oklahoma, only the nightlight service is running since 24.1 is not receivable due to interference with KOMI 24.1 in Woodward. The net effect is Fox is gone forever from western and northwest Oklahoma, including cable, unless KOMI relocates to another channel.
    KWTV 9.1 is gone too since the translators were not upgraded to be ready for the transition. Hopefully this will be fixed soon
    KETA 13 is running at weaker power from my observations, we had to switch our cable feed to KWET 8 in Cheyenne.

17. dmoran
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 6:55 am | Permalink

I was able to pull KJRH in at home in Norman last night.

18. Posted February 18, 2009 at 6:57 am | Permalink

sbreshears,

Can you be a little more descriptive of your problem? Tell us what kind of hardware you have and what you are experiencing in detail.

Kevin

19. servicetech
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 8:24 am | Permalink

I did a rescan on my DTVpal DVR and my TV. Both picked up everything. I has some PBS audio dropouts on the my DTVpal DVR before the switchover but moving to CH 13 seems to have corrected it. 5, 9, 13 signal strength is in the low 90’s, UHF channels are high 90’s. I think this has to do with my VHF/UHF antenna having more gain on UHF than VHF. It’s a simple metal antenna RCA3020X mounted on the roof, you can but them at Lowe’s for $60 or find online for less. This simple metal antenna beat all the special amplified/HDTV antenna’s I’ve tried.

For those of you having reception issues try a simple metal antenna on the roof, I’ll bet you get a better signal.

20. Stan in HD
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Does anyone know for sure how the Dish Network gets the local OTA channels to their headquarters (up-link station) to be sent out on the Dish satellite feeds? Dish must have had the issue in that process.

Posted February 18, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Hd locals are sent via fiber to the uplink point. It is one reason I think KOTV looks better in MPEG 4 from Dish than it does OTA. Those 2 subchannels really kill the main channel during sports for the OTA feed.

22. Posted February 18, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

doublej,

I am so glad KWTV-DT does not multicast any subchannels. I do think sub channels do have their place at certain times but during HD programming I think stations should send out the highest quality product using the maximum amount of bandwidth available.

Kevin

Posted February 18, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I agree, KOTV should be dropping the CW subchannel soon, now that KQCW is up on it’s own transmitter and in HD no less. That will just leave ThisTV on the subchannel and hopefully they don’t come back with another weather radar channel.

24. Posted February 18, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

I’m using a 91XG (http://antennasdirect.com/91XG_HDTV_Antenna.html)mounted to a 40ft tower in Stillwater (Exhibit One Gallery – if anyone knows where that is). After the switch yesterday I completely lost FOX and PBS, even though their channels stayed the same. Strangely, Vista Media Center is showing about 70-80% signal strength on FOX, but I’m getting nothing now – came in crystal clear before. I’m getting no signal strength on PBS. I’m also showing no signal strength for CBS, but I’m picking it up just fine. Anyone else having problems with FOX?

25. Posted February 18, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Scratch that, just read ggore’s comments on fox (though mine is showing as 25.1 not 24.1) I can sort of pick fox up(if you want to call it that) I get a few blips of video or audio every 5 seconds or so. This really sucks – now that I think about it this has been happening since last friday before the switchover. Also, I was mistaken about CBS, that channel is now not coming in at all. Pretty much the only thing I can pick up now is NBC and CW.

26. Posted February 18, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Hmm… first comment didn’t post. Here’s my signal strength results after switchover using a 91XG antenna (UHF only) on a 40ft tower (Exhibit One Gallery in Stillwater, if anyone knows where that is) and windows media center:

4.1 KFORDT 4 of 6 bars
    4.2 KFRODT2 4 of 6 bars
    5.1 KOCODT None
    5.2 KOCODT2 None
    9.1 KWTVDT None
    13.1 – 13.5 KETADT None
    14.1 KTBODT 4 of 6 bars
    25.1 KOKHDT 4 of 6 bars (but not working see above)
    34.1 KOCBDT 5 of 6 bars
    43.1 KAUTDT 4 of 6 bars
    52.1 KSBIDT 4 of 6 bars
    52.2 KSBIDT2 4 of 6 bars
    62.1 KOPXDT 4 of 6 bars

I need to pick up a VHF antenna, antennasdirect.com said a while back that they would have a clearstream VHF only antenna out with a UHF combiner to use with the 91XG, but I didn’t see it on their website yet. Regardless, there’s still the problem with FOX.

Anyone else having problems with FOX in Stillwater?

27. Posted February 18, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

4.1 KFORDT 4 of 6 bars
    4.2 KFRODT2 4 of 6 bars
    5.1 KOCODT None
    5.2 KOCODT2 None
    9.1 KWTVDT None
    13.1 – 13.5 KETADT None
    14.1 KTBODT 4 of 6 bars
    25.1 KOKHDT 4 of 6 bars (but not working see above)
    34.1 KOCBDT 5 of 6 bars
    43.1 KAUTDT 4 of 6 bars
    52.1 KSBIDT 4 of 6 bars
    52.2 KSBIDT2 4 of 6 bars
    62.1 KOPXDT 4 of 6 bars

Anyone else having problems with FOX in Stillwater?

28. fox25eng
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

KOMI is planned to go to RF channel 34, and that should fix the interference problem in western oklahoma. I’m tring to find out when this is suppose to happen, and I’ll post when I know.

Steve

29. Posted February 18, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

redrings,

I have media center too. I had to delete the references for KWTV-DT and KETA-DT in this file astcchannels.xml. It is a hidden file by the way. I had to manually add the KWTV-DT on channel 9 and KETA-DT on channel 13. Did you do this?

You might need to invest in an VHF/UHF antenna. Is your current antenna amplified?

Kevin

30. Posted February 18, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

redrings,

I’m on the east side of Stillwater near 6th and Jardot. I have a Channel Master UHF antenna that I’ve been using since 2001. I get pretty much the same channels as before with slightly lower reception for KWTV and KETA on both my EyeTV Mac-based tuner and my Dish 211K satellite receiver.

31. zenithtv
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

KXII move back to channel 12 and turn up power and it kicks! Here in the low valley downtown Pauls Valley, OK power meter on dish 622 is 100%. KTEN is Staying on channel 26 uhf. Power meter is 95% on channel 10.

32. SoonerDoc
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Is anyone using a DirecTV HDTivo box? I did the rescan for the OTA channels and it found the new KWTV-HD channel 9-1 fine. I have a fine signal and picture, however there is no guide data for the channel. It just says regular programming. Needless to say this makes setting up season passes or recording shows very difficult. Does anyone else have this box with the same problem?

Posted February 19, 2009 at 4:03 am | Permalink

According to a notice we received from Griffin before the transition, KWTV-DT is currently running at a low power level, and they will be raising the power in 2010 subject to FCC approval.
    I don’t know what the situation with KETA is since we didn’t receive any information from OETA. All I know is that we aren’t able to receive KETA any more.
    There doesn’t seem to be any change in KOCO-DT, but we are on the northwest side of the transmitter pattern and receive a fair signal from them. There is a lot of fade with KOCO-DT.

34. Posted February 19, 2009 at 9:55 am | Permalink

SoonerDoc,

I have the same box and I am experiencing the same thing. I think it is a DirecTV issue because I have a regular DTV convertor box in the garage and KWTV-DT is send out guide data.

Kevin

35. quanah
    Posted February 19, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

My sister in Lawton uses DirecTV and Lawton Cablevision for basic 2-13.
    She says her cable KWTV 9 is the best she’s ever seen it. KFOR is business as usual. Lawton Cablevision hasn’t carried KOCO in years.
    Cablevision picks these signals off air on Lawton’s east side. OKC antennas are about 300′ up.
    Her KJTL Fox (cable ch 12) from Grandfield transmitter is the best she’s ever seen. I assume KJTL has turned off analog.
    She uses Cablevision’s barebones analog service for locals.
    She still has KETA 13, but I didn’t think to ask about picture quality.
    I wasn’t sure if Lawton could successfully capture KWTV-DT 9 off air.
    Did KETA turn off transmitter and move DT to 13?

36. Posted February 19, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Kevin – thanks, I’ll try that method and see if I can get KETA and KWTV back. I’m using the PA-18 UHF/VHF Antenna Pre-Amp Kit, but I don’t notice any difference with or without it plugged in.

Dennis – thanks, that also gives me hope. Have you ever been able to pick up KOCO from over there with your channelmaster?

I was hoping that antennasdirect would have the VHF only Clearstream 5 out by now, I think last time I talked to them they said it would be ready by Oct. 2008 and would include a UHF/VHF combiner – but I haven’t heard back from them with my most recent inquiry yet and it’s not anywhere to be found on their website.

37. Posted February 19, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

quanah,

Yes, OETA/KETA-DT did move to VHF 13.

38. Posted February 19, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

redrings,

When I lived in SW OKC, I had to take some extra steps to KOCO-DT. Click on “Possible VHF DTV Reception Solution in OKC/Tulsa” under Main Pages at the top of the site to check it out.

39. Posted February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks! The wife won’t let me put one of the “old big ugly antennas” on the tower, so maybe I can get away with putting one in the attic – do you think I could pick up the VHF channels from here if I had it in the attic? I was hoping for the Clearstream 5 as they said it would be a 2ft x 2ft square and look like the other clearstreams, and then I could mount it to the tower.

Also, do you happen to remember where that astcchannels.xml file was located? I turned on show hidden files but can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks!

40. Posted February 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Ah, just found out that there’s no atscchannels.xml in TV Pack (or windows 7) 🙁

41. Posted February 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

redrings,

At your distance the only option is to put your antenna outside. Maybe your wife will let you put up a small VHF antenna outside.

Kevin

42. Posted February 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Steve – thanks for the info about KOMI, hopefully they will do this soon. My Fox reception is a little better today, but still completely unwatchable.

43. kenny9966
    Posted February 19, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

To Redrings,

I am also from stillwater and have seen no change to fox 25 out of okc. I have lost KWTV and OETA out of OKC though. I use an amplified indoor antenna which besides koco did fine for all stations out of okc. I even pick up kjrh quite often on it out of tulsa (HD News). Im saddended that channel 9 and 13 chose vhf cause i can no longer receive them here. I usually can get koco if i tinker with it a bit but i havent even got a blip of a signal from channel 9 or 13 since the switchover. God i hate VHF.

44. Posted February 20, 2009 at 4:58 am | Permalink

redrings and kenny9966,

Here in Stillwater, I still get basically all the channels I got before, but I’ve noticed that KWTV’s signal is worse now than when they were on UHF. Normally, I record CBS shows (along with the other commercial network shows) on my Dish 211K receiver because they’re throwaways.

With virtually every CBS show I’ve recorded since the switch, there comes a point where the receiver pops up a dialog that says part of the program was lost due to signal loss. So far, this has been fast enough that I didn’t miss any important part of the show, but I never saw anything like that when they were on UHF. I have not noticed any change with OETA, but then I usually record its shows on my Mac’s EyeTV tuner, which is better than the one in my Dish receiver.

KOCO-DT is about the same as it was before. The main things I record are “Lost,” “Nightline” and ABC “World News Tonight” (though I’m about to switch back to “NBC Nightly News”). I record “Lost” on the Mac because I’m five episodes behind this season and it’s easier to store them on the computer until I have time to watch them. At least twice a week, either “Nightline” or ABC “World News Tonight” fails to record because all or part of an episode is lost on the Dish receiver due to a weak signal.

BTW, I receive all the Oklahoma City stations using a Channel Master 4248 UHF channel that I installed in May 2001. I haven’t moved it and the only change I’ve made in nearly eight years is going through several tuners and splitting the signal a couple of times. It sits about 25 feet off the ground at the roof line of a two story house. I’ve installed two more of these near here (the Paul Miller building on campus and near Glencoe where my friend was able to get most stations from Tulsa in addition to all the Oklahoma City stations) and they’ve worked very well.

For a trip down memory lane, check out this post from December of that year expressing my frustration that NONE of the Oklahoma stations were on the air.

45. Posted February 20, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Dennis, thanks for the info about the 4248. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find one of those anywhere – but I think this might be it’s replacement EXTREMEtenna. It’s good to hear that you’re picking up all the stations, I’ll think I’ll get one of these and give it a try. I haven’t been too worried about not picking up ABC as the only show I watch on that channel is lost so I just used Hulu or torrents, but there are a few shows on CBS I watch that I’m willing to pick up a new antenna for. I’m a bit worried about getting another antenna that’s specifically UHF, but given your success i’ll give it a shot. They don’t seem to sell them on their website though, do you know a good source for picking up a Channel Master? Also, it took me forever to find an installer last go around and they moved to another state a couple of days after the install. Anybody know where to find a good installer (preferably one that uses a compass to set the antenna direction)?

Anyone in the market for a 91XG? 🙂

46. hipsterdoofus
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 9:13 am | Permalink

I had quite a time getting this to work on Windows7 MCE. I knew I still had signal cause I still got it the VLC on my HDHomeRun tuner. There IS no atscchannels.xml file in Windows 7. I had to go in and uncheck the listings for KWTV and KETA and then add them in manually. After that I had to figure out how to copy the guide settings to the new, manually added channels – but I think its all good now. Also, I have great signals strength, live in Edmond, and use the homemade antenna which is ugly but its in my attic, so I don’t care, and it works great.

47. hipsterdoofus
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 10:29 am | Permalink

My Antenna cost me about $7 🙂

48. quanah
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Kevin,

I talked to my Lawton sister today at noon.
    KETA and KWTV looks like her KSWO fiberlinked signal and TBS Superstation. KFOR is the shakey trashed signal she’s always had. Today just happens to be a pretty good day for KFOR.
    She’s thrilled with her new KJTL (Wichita Falls Fox), KWTV, and KETA.
    It will be interesting to see how KFOR comes out after their analog turnoff. I’ve read that Cable One in Duncan carries KFOR-DT. Maybe Lawton Cablevision can.