KOCO-DT KSWO Channel 7 Post DTV Transition

Now that KSWO has vacated channel 7 at midnight last night, has anyone noticed any change in the KOCO-DT reception? Has it got better, worse, or the same? Take a look at your DTV signal strength meter if you have one on your equipment.

This entry was posted in DTV Switchover, Equipment, Oklahoma City, Wichita Falls/Lawton. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. servicetech
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

No difference for me, Live in NE Moore. Getting low 90’s on My DTVpal DVR, my TV doesn’t have a signal meter. UHF channels are in the high 90’s.

Oddly enough I got KSWO for a little bit last night after doing a rescan of the channels, signal must be pretty strong for me to get it 90 miles away on the back side of my antenna. I also got a channel from Ada on the back side of my antenna last week for a little bit. My antenna is just a small standard metal one on the roof, no amps.

2. Posted February 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Cool. I was just wondering if anyone in extreme SW OKC, SW Norman, Chickasha, Blanchard, Tuttle, and Newcastle were still having issues getting KOCO-DT even though KSWO channel 7 is now off the air.

3. servicetech
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I think the key to getting good reception in an area where 2 signals are coming from different directions is to have an antenna with a good front to back ratio and have it on the roof to minimize signal reflections from the building. I’m not sure that KOCO has actually done anything to their transmitter since the switchover.

4. hdbum
    Posted February 19, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

KOCO still does not have enough signal strength to even show up in a scan in the Marlow area south of Chickasha. We were hoping they would at least increase power on their DTV channel when KSWO shut down. KSWO’s DTV signal is much better after the switch and we get it nearly full strength off the back side of the antenna pointing toward OKC. Except for KOCO all the other OKC channels are coming in at 90 or above. We are now seeing KFDX channel 3 out of Wichita Falls at signal 75 from the back side.

5. sprill419
    Posted February 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I live in extreme southern OKC off of I-44. I still can’t get KOCO. I also lost KWTV and OETA when they changed their digital channels. Rescan does not work. I have an outdoor antenna.

6. Posted February 19, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

sprill419,

What kind of antenna do you have that is outside?

Kevin

7. mzokc
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 1:24 am | Permalink

In downtown OKC, standard rabbit ears are working better now for KOCO but only through a window. A television located in a room without windows does not pick up KOCO in my area. The amazing thing is how a bow-tie UHF antenna works for VHF digital 9 and 13, but not 7. No matter how I position a standard set of rabbit ears, KOCO has a very poor signal in the inside bedroom. All other channels work fine in the inside bedroom with bow-tie or rabbit ears.

An amplified outdoor 7-13 VHF yagi antenna results in OETA, KWTV and KOCO having a signal strength of 89 to 90 on the HD TiVo. When ONLY using an amplified Square Shooter, the KOCO signal occasionally appears at 25 with NO picture. OETA and KWTV come in at 66. KFOR comes in at 100. As these readings indicate, VHF is weak with a Square Shooter compared with UHF. The yagi must be used with the Square Shooter in my area.

KOCO should consider switching to the now unused UHF channels 32 or 39 previously used by OETA and KWTV. The indoor reception problem will be huge when portable digital televisions are used in the future.

8. rickster
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 8:39 am | Permalink

sprill419…..I had to DELETE CH9 and then do a RESCAN to get it because they moved from CH39 back to CH9 at the cutover

9. sprill419
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Well I bought the antenna at Radioshack about 3 years ago. I think this is the same one based on look, features and price…

What’s interesting (or frustrating in my case) is I went to my detached garage 30 feet away and get everything but KOCO (shocker I know) on a 13″ with bunny ears. I’m not an engineer but thought rabbit ears are supposed to not do UHF but it picks all those up fine.

Also, I’m a little perplexed why OETA and KWTV switched from UHF to VHF. Is it cheaper for them this way? In my experience it has only introduced problems.

On side note–I got a Terk HDTV antenna in bedroom and it gets OETA but no KOCO or KWTV. Was very disappointed with this antenna before switch, but seems to work better after. Still not convinced it is any better than some standard rabbits, though.

10. sprill419
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

my link did not show up from first paragraph. Try this… Outside Antenna Link

11. Posted February 20, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

sprill419,

It is cheaper on the electric bill to operate a VHF transmitter than a UHF transmitter.

12. servicetech
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

sprill419, If you are getting better reception on the rabbit ears than the Radio shack antenna then you probably have some sort of installation issue.

Is your antenna in the attic or on the roof?
    Did you use RG6 cable when you installed it?
    Is the cable going straight from the antenna to the TV or do you have splitters/amps/grounding blocks/etc in between?
    Are you using premade cables to hook everything up or did you install your own ends?
    Have you double checked all your wiring connections?

I have a similar antenna (RCA ANT3020X) and it works excellent on the roof. I had a VU-75 and it worked well before it got destroyed by an ice storm.

13. sprill419
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Turns out it was an issue with Vista Media Center. It does not really rescan–but downloads a list of channels from its source. Well that list is outdated for some reason (even after redownloading), thus the reason KWTV and OETA went away. Long story but fix involved modifying XML file and adding those stations manually. I still can’t get KOCO digital on any of my TVs, though. Back to square one for me.

14. mikief
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 9:46 am | Permalink

I have the same problem with KWTV and OETA in Vista Media Center. Where can I find the details for the fix?

15. sprill419
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I’ll save you some trouble because there is not much quality info documented out there:
    1) Find the “astcchannels.xml” file— look at something similar to this :”c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome\EPG\prefs\astcchannels.xml” It is hidden file so you’ll need to unhide files if necessary.

2) Delete lines for both KWTV and OETA. Restart Media Center.

3) In media center settings, go to Guide and Add Missing Channel.

4) Manually add DTV Channels for KWTV (09-01, 09) and OETA (13-1,13).

5) Should work at this point. If not, let me know. I had to jack around all morning Saturday to get things to work. For some reason the new KWTV and OETA were showing up as subs for channel 62–which of course was not acceptable! Ended up having to wipe everything clean–not too happy about that.

6) While you’re at it—manually add the following: 4-2 (KFOR weather), 5-1 (my media center doesn’t even import KOCO as a default option–which is kind of humorous to me due to all the issues in this forum), 5-2 (KOCO weather), 13-2 (OETA’s other channel), 14-2 through 4 (in case your into the religious stations), 52-2 (KSBI second), 62-2 through 4 (i really like 62-3 ionlife btw).

Let me know if you have any trouble.

16. mikief
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks muchly for the info… All worked just fine with no hitches.

17. mrneutr0n
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Are they (KOCO) going to boost power to the SW or not?

18. Aurora5000
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 10:42 am | Permalink

KOCO is still at reduced power and on the side mounted (west) antennae element at roughly 1000 feet up using a smaller transmission line. That will not change until next 2010 as they are wanting to upgrade to a new top element on top at 1400 feet plus, get on the main transmission line that was used for ch.5 analog, and go to full ERP.

There now should be better reception down south and SE now the KWSO has turned off ch. 7 analog.

I have a suggestion to folks South and SE trying to get KOCO-DTV, Use ch. 9 or ch.13 to tune in your converter box to peak signal for OKC VHF stations. ch.9 and ch.13 will be a stronger signal to tune to. KOCO’s tower is one mile due north of 9/13 tower. OETA shares KWTV’s tower.

Good Luck

19. Aurora5000
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Actually include SW too.

20. poit57
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Can someone help me out with Vista Media Center?

I cannot find atscchannels.xml. I have selected to show hidden files and folders in the Folder Options and navigated to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\ but there is no EPG folder. I have done an advanced search including hidden files and folders for “atscchannels” but no results were found. I guess that’s not terribly important since I am able to still manually add the channels through Media Center and uncheck the boxes in the guide setup for channels that are not set up correctly.

On February 17, KWTV-DT did not work, but it seems to have been corrected since then. I am having problems with The OETA channels and the ION channels.

I know 13.1 is on frequency 13, but for other channels I used to receive (OETA Create, OETA Kids, OETA Oklahoma, ION, IONlife, ION Worship, qubo) I have no idea where to find the frequency assignments. Can someone provide me the frequency assignments for the following channels?

13.2, 13.3, 13.4, 62.1, 62.2, 62.3, 62.4

21. poit57
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Well, nevermind about my previous post. I rescanned my channels today and was able to find the signal for all channels I was previously missing.

22. snakelips
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

This is some really great information regarding the DTV channel information for Media Center. I found this page through the Google machine searching for KSWO. But, unfortunately I didn’t find what I was looking for. Does anyone know the correct DTV channel info for KSWO?

Many thanks!

23. Aurora5000
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Ch. 11

24. snakelips
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

So, for KSWO it’s: Digital TV Channel 11-1 ? Or 11-2 ? Or what? And what’s the Assigned Frequency for the second page in MCE?

I’m looking for everything like in the format used above: “…DTV Channels for KWTV (09-01, 09) and OETA (13-1,13).”

Thanks!

25. gus
    Posted April 20, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I’m still trying to pick up channels 9 and 13 on my Vista Media Center. I deleted the lines in the xml file but it won’t let me add the channels, says they already exist.

26. Alicia
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I live in SW OKC, and I can get all the channels I used to get plus some…except for KOCO Channel 5. I cannot get channel 5 at all. My parents live in NW OKC, and they couldn’t not get channell 5 until about August. I rescan every couple of weeks or so, but still nothing. I can’t wait for this to be fixed. I have shows on channel 5 that I like to watch!

27. Posted November 9, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

You need to get an antenna outside.