Post-transition Experiences with KWTV-DT and KETA-DT in OKC

It’s been 10 days since KWTV and KETA in Oklahoma City moved from UHF to VHF. My experience with KWTV is that its signal at channel 9 here in Stillwater is degraded over what they were offering in the UHF band.

The other night NCIS failed to record on my Dish DVR because the signal kept breaking up so I ended up watching it later in the week on the internet. Last night, CSI was breaking up badly during the show.

Any other experiences from around the state?

I haven’t had any major problems with KETA (OETA in Oklahoma City) since they moved their digital station to channel 13. What about the signal in Tulsa where I think OETA was moving to channel 11?

This entry was posted in DTV Switchover, OETA, Oklahoma City and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. HDsooner
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

I live in Ada and since the switch I can’t pick up KWTV or KETA. I was afraid this would be a problem considering a digital signal just isn’t as strong without analog.

2. kenny9966
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

well here in stillwater i have lost both those channels but i only have an indoor antenna for my apt. so i guess u win some u lose some. grrrrrr

3. zenithtv
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

If KWTV had the power output of KXII in Sherman, TX everybody in your area could pickup channel 9. My dish 622 and Winegard model YA1713 10 Element Yagi up 35 feet high in pauls valley channel 9 is 100% and 13 is 92% Channel 12 is 100% from sherman, TX.

4. quanah
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

My sister in Lawton reports Lawton Cablevision has KWTV and KETA better than she’s ever seen them in Lawton.
    She uses cable’s bare bones basic 2-13.
    Lawton cable recieves 9 and 13 off air and converts them to analog for basic subscribers, of course.
    Lawton does not carry the 9 and 13 HD forms. I believe Lawton does not yet digital simulcast 2-85. I know that Lawton now has an 870 mhz deep fiber system. I wonder if the new Missouri owners will bring them up to date.
    I believe Time Warner has completed digital simulcasting on all systems. I know they have in Wichita Falls.

Posted February 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

KXII’s trasmitter is in Madill not Sherman, just the studios are in Sherman.

As for OETA in Tulsa, I can’t really say since I am only a few miles from the towers. I get everything from the North side of Broken Arrow and East Tulsa area pretty easily. I rescanned and picked up OETA on 11 instantly then found KQCW after they flash cut to digital 20 and enjoyed some CW HD for the first time. Now if Dish would just remap the guide data for KQCW from 6.2 over to 19.1 I would be happy for a while.

OETA is supposed to be installing the equipment this week to begin adding the digital version of the Tv Guide OnScreen service to their signal. They were the analog provider of the TVGoS before the shutoff. I need this for my Sony HDDVR and owners of the DTV Pal Dvr will want it of the guide listings too.

Posted February 28, 2009 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Since the transition, KWTV has been very unstable at Taloga, blanking out for hours at a time and much less powerful than before. It’s the weakest signal from Oklahoma City, even weaker than KOCO.
    Wednesday someone from KWTV called us at the cable system to see how they were doing. She said they installed a new transmitter cabinet the night before and that they were now running at full power. This new transmitter had no effect, and now the signal is even worse.
    I did some checking at our tower, and KETA is not receivable since the transition, and it used to be totally stable here.

7. quanah
    Posted February 28, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

ggore,

How far from KWTV are your antennas?
    I think Lawton’s antennas are about 80 miles and 300 ft. up.
    Cablevision uses KSWO’s old 400′ tower on Lawton’s east side. The OKC antennas are about 300′ up.
    The old high VHF and low VHF arrays are gone.
    A few years ago cablevision dumped 4, 9, and 13 and the antennas came down. Public outcry brought 4, 9, and 13 back. Cablevision put a couple VHF broadbands back on the tower for 4, 9, and 13.
    I don’t know what they’re doing now, but my Lawton sister has just reminded me that 9 and 13 are still the best she’s ever seen them. She’s happy.
    4 is still the analog pits on Lawton’s system.
    When I get up to Lawton I’ll check out the tower.

8. quanah
    Posted February 28, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

ggore,

I just measured on my Rand map and I believe Lawton cable antennas are about 90 miles from Edmond.
    They began with 4, 5, 9, 13 from OKC in 1968. Always have had pretty good reception. Far superior to Clinton-Sherman AFB. Lawton dumped KOCO years ago. It was worst of the OKC stations.
    I’ve been told that Lawton was to great a distance for the OKC UHF stations.
    Elk City was much better than Lawton but microwaved the OKC stations from Weatherford. No translators at Sayer in the old days.
    Your antennas may be a little closer to Edmond than Lawton.
    The biggest loser I know of is Wendover, NV cable trying to carry Salt Lake City stations at 100 miles. Awful.

9. jyp
    Posted March 1, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

With my converter box and indoor antenna here in Norman, I can’t even detect ch. 9 or 5. Ch. 13 has degraded since the 17th and isn’t watchable anymore. Lately, KFOR has been getting choppy.
    But through my tuner card in my PC, I can pick up all but ch. 5, and they seem to all be watchable.

Posted March 1, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Taloga is 78 miles northwest of OKC as the crow flies. As of now we can receive completely stable digital signals at the tower from 4, 14, 34, 43, and 62 in OKC. We receive OETA from Cheyenne. 5 is receivable about 70% of the time, depending on atmospheric conditions. 9 only comes in perhaps 40%. 52 is unusable. We have a processor for it but it only pops on once in a while.

Posted March 1, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I was in OKC over the weekend and ran a scan with my EyeTV Hybrid on my Macbook in my hotel room using just the little antenna that comes with the EyeTV. The hotel was at Northwest Highway & May. I could receive all the OKC digital stations except 5 and 9. I don’t know if this was due to the fact that they are both VHF stations and the EyeTV Hybrid is not that good at receiving them, but I think it has more to do with the fact those two stations are very weak right now.

12. Posted March 1, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

In catching up on my recorded OETA shows, the Stevie Wonder concert I recorded last week had several drop outs in the middle of songs, which never happened before. Plus, the whole will.i.am segment was missing, though that could have been because PBS didn’t deem that part of the show worthy for middle America.

I’m using an EyeTV 500 on my G5.

13. quanah
    Posted March 1, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

ggore,

Several months ago, Time Warner in Waco began recieving ch 8 and 13 from Dallas through a fiber common carrier.
    Capturing 8 and 13 off air ended. Dallas TW has fiberlinks to ch 8 and 13. TW owns no fiberlink from Dallas to Waco.
    Our pictures from Dallas became just as good as the locals. Waco TW has fiberlinks to all locals. TW digital simulcasts all channels below 100.
    Fedelity (is this the new Lawton cable owners?) would not be paying a common carrier for 9 and 13 would they?
    My sister says her 9 and 13 looks exactly like her TBS Superstation and the Weather Channel.
    Lawton is a long way from OKC for off air reception.
    I thought I read that Duncan Cable One carries KFOR-DT, but zap2it’s channel lineup doesn’t show KFOR. I wonder if Lawton will lose KFOR when KFOR’s analog goes off.

Posted March 2, 2009 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Fiber links are good, but horrifically expensive as they use dedicated fiber for just that one purpose. Ten years ago several cable systems in western and northwest Oklahoma got together to consider setting up a link to get the Oklahoma City stations into this area, but the expense was just too much to justify.
    As to the PBS showing of the Stevie Wonder event at the White House last night (Sun), the Dolby Digital was ridiculous. When Michelle spoke to introduce Stevie, her voice came out of my rear left speaker only, as did Stevie’s vocals and most of the music when he started playing. I could only listen to 10 minutes of it before tuning away, so I don’t know if it remained that way through the entire show or not.

15. quanah
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 8:56 am | Permalink

As I understand, TW is paying a common fiber carrier to transport 2 (now 1) Dallas stations to TW’s Waco headend. Can this be right?
    Several months ago when this practice began, the Dallas stations became as good as our fiberlinked locals.
    A couple years ago, Time Warner ran fiber 60 miles to Killeen’s headend. Now the Killeen headend inserts local commercials for the Killeen and Temple systems.
    The old Temple headend has been abandoned.
    Surely TW hasn’t spent the money for fiber 100 miles to Dallas.
    Aren’t there common carriers who one can pay to transport video?
    I’m becoming eager to get up to Lawton and see how Lawton cable is getting such pristene 9 and 13 pictures.

16. servicetech
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

My reception has remained rock solid through the transition. Now that OETA moved to CH13 My DTVpal DVR doesn’t drop audio like it did when ti was on CH32. My setup is a RCA ANT3020X (plain metal antenna) mounted on the roof in Moore.

I’m looking foward getting TVGOS for my DTV pal through OETA since KETA dropped the ball. On another forum somebody mentioned you will need to redo the setup in order for the DTVpal to see TVGOS. If you have one keep this in mind.

17. quanah
    Posted March 12, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Back in the middle of Texas from Lawton.

I’ve never seen 4, 9, 13 look so good on Fedelity Communications (formerly Lawton Cablevision). I had a good visit with tech Wayne.

Fidelity is using 1 high VHF broadband antenna for 9 and 13, 344′ above the ground. One UHF parobolic for KFOR-DT ch 27 350′ up.
    They’re using the 1953 400′ KSWO-TV tower, as the cable guys have always done.
    OKC stations are virtually 100% usable all the time. I didn’t see a flaw during my visit.
    Wayne told me it was months ago, they experimented with KETA-DT assigned UHF frequency with surprising success.

Fidelity tower and antennas are 90 miles from Edmond antenna farm, as the Comanche walks.

KSWO engineer is not happy with KOCO’s “backdoor” move to “steal” ch 7. He told me KSWO had planned to use 7 for DT.

KAUZ-DT ch 6 Wichita Falls is currently broke down, so they’re using KAUZ analog. It looks awful compared to all the others.

One high gain UHF antenna is used for CBS, Fox, and NBC channels in Wichita falls.
    The two low VHF antennas for WF’s 3 and 6 are abandoned except for the temporary 6 analog. KSWO is fiberlinked to cable headend.
    Fidelity’s OTA broadcast station reception is better than I’ve ever seen in Lawton (except for analog KAUZ).

Fidelity plans about 30 Hd additions in the next three months.

The Lawton system is an upgraded fiber rich 870 mhz system.

I forgot to ask wayne if they are digital simulcasting 2 thru 85, and about VOD plans. My sister uses only barebones basic 2-13, and DirecTV.
    I believe if I were to move to Lawton, I would have to give Fidelity a hard look.

18. abreshears
    Posted March 15, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I was picking up KWTV good before the switch in Stillwater, now I can’t get it at all. OETA is really patchy. But I seem to be picking up KOCO for now which I’ve never been able to do before…

19. zenithtv
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

KWTV and OETA was breaking up during a lighting strom. Before Feb 17 and channel 9 was uhf 39 and 13 was uhf 32 NO problem!! Tells you that both channels do not care about people in rual areas!

20. aftigr
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I live in Edmond and had some difficulty with picking up Channel 9 on a TV with internal digitial antenna in the room, but after tweaking it I managed to get the station to come in.

A relative lives near Enid and since the transition has completely lost “only” channel 9 OKC. I installed a HDTV antenna on the house and it works great for 21 channels (but Channel 9/NewsOK which they did get fine before the switch). I’ve deleted, rescanned, etc… and no change.

Any ideas on what else to try? Thanks.