Analog Cut Off Today

Today is the day!. I believe KOCO analog is going to go off the air at 9AM today. I am not sure about the other stations, so let us know what is going on out there.

This entry was posted in DTV Switchover, Oklahoma City, Programming, Tulsa. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. kenny9966
    Posted June 12, 2009 at 8:43 am | Permalink

No were not that lucky.I believe KOCO will be doing the nightlight service for 30 days UGHHHHH. so reception problems will not increase in southern sides of metro until their nightlight is completely off. Poor Lawton

2. OUTV
    Posted June 12, 2009 at 9:00 am | Permalink

We are in SW Norman and still have audio issues with the KOCO-DTV signal off of an attic antenna. We run dual leads off of this antenna to a couple of converter box sets. Tried rescanning after the cutover this morning, but no change.

Promptly fired off a note of concern to Hearst-Argyle about the situation, especially given the responsibility of local broadcasters to the public for safety (anyone see the weather cut-ins this morning?).

3. Posted June 12, 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

OUTV,

Have you tried putting on a small VHF booster on the line?

4. kenny9966
    Posted June 12, 2009 at 10:02 am | Permalink

OUTV,

I read somewhere earlier i believe avsforums that ABC in general is doing an upgrade and causing sound problems on abc HD Programming. A few ABC stations went to sd the past few days during games because of this. If its not during abc programming(local news etc)must be reception issuses or on koco’s end. I cant pick it in stillwater so i cant help ya there. BOOOO VHF!!!!

5. rickster
    Posted June 12, 2009 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I measured the signal strengths of some of the OKC Digital channels in Southeast Norman using a 6 foot, 25 year old attic mounted Radio Shack VHF/UHF yagi on an IFR 1100 spectrum analyzer this morning. Numbers are DB above the analyzer noise floor.

ABC(koco) and KSBI 42. FOX and OETA 50. NBC(kfor) 55. CBS(kwtv) 60. Yes, KOCO and KSBI are the weakest at 42 DB above the noise floor, BUT, that is still a strong signal !!! Is it time to stop the whinning?? ???

6. trueview
    Posted June 12, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

when is 43 going to either use their didital channel as an id and let 43 go or use 43 as the didital channel. My tlevision stops at 43 and says “no signal” and if I delete 43 from the favorites list it does not pick it up at all. It is the only channel that does this. KOCO has elected to keep channel five alive for awhile longer. I know 3 million Americans were not ready, but was that a surprise4? I read thgat 48 was changing but not knowing much Spanish I have not figured out when. 6 I thought for a while. I watched 4 make the change.

7. quanah
    Posted June 12, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

WFAA-DT (ABC) ch 8 Dallas cutswitch from 9 to 8 this AM after analog turnoff.
    Overbuilder Grande in Waco now has ch 8 better than ever. They pick the signal off air from Cedar Hill. Waco Time Warner dumped ch 8 in December. Some south central and southeastern Oklahoma systems carry ch 8.
    Crystal clear picture as is KWTV ch 9 and KFOR (27) on Fidelity Communications in Lawton.
    ggore, I saw Ardmore Cable One tower. Antennas to Dallas but just a microwave screen low on the tower pointed to OKC. I now know they carry OKC 9 and 5 with microwave signals for the final leg. 110 miles from Ardmore tower to Edmond antenna farm.
    Bowie, TX cable now displays KSWO 7 (11) from Lawton better than ever. I like this new digital world.

Ch 10 Waco station ID’s now say KWTX-TV. Not KWTX-DT. Are any of the Oklahoma stations using TV in their call signs? I wondered what stations would call themselves after the changeover. KWBU (PBS) Waco is still using DT in station ID’s.

The CW, NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox affiliates in Denver all now have HD capability for local news, weather, and sports and syndication.

Posted June 13, 2009 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I spoke to an engineer at KOCO on Thursday. They will be running a nightlight on the old ch 5 for 30 days about the switchover. It will be several months to over a year before they remove their old antenna from the top of their tower and place the digital antenna up there. They have no idea when it will happen.