KFOR Transmits HD from Chopper

KFOR-DT transmitted HD from their helicopter for the first time today. KFOR-DT is definitely stepping up the HD news coverage in the state. It is only a matter of time when we will see a tornado in HD from a helicopters perspective. Hopefully it will not be in a populated area. I live in Moore, 1999 is still in my memory.

This entry was posted in Equipment, Oklahoma City, Production, Sightings. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. JohnH_in_OKC
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I also saw the HD pictures from Chopper 4 after previously viewing Channel 9’s news coverage. Channel 4’s HD coverage of the gas fire looked great. I really appreciate Channel 4’s ability to now cover all local news reports in HD – including HD satellite coverage of the Big 12 basketball tournament. OETA’s and Channel 43’s news programs are HD. When is HD local news coming to the rest of OKC’s local broadcast stations?

2. philspice1
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

That really points out how sad it was that KWTV billed their chopper as “HD” a few years and have never been able to actually air anything local in HD.

Posted March 12, 2010 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Nice to see KFOR’s getting with the times. EVERY Kansas City station has had their choppers equipped with HD cameras for a year or two now, but then again EVERY Kansas City station (cept Fox of course) does full HD local news, and full HD syndicated programming, something NO Oklahoma City station does.

4. kenny9966
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

ggore is any station in tulsa able to air hd syndicated programming yet?

Posted March 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I don’t know, haven’t had anything about Tulsa. The Big 12 basketball tournament is being produced in HD, and of course KOCB can’t show it.

Posted March 14, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Channel 2 KJRH in Tulsa was the first station to broadcast all their local and syndicated programming ( Jeopardy, Wheel, Ellen, etc..) in HD over a year ago. Still the only station in Tulsa to do HD local programming. KTUL channel 8 does some syndicated programs in HD. As much as I hate the weathermen, all but KQCW and KMYT in Tulsa can overlay the weather graphics over the HD feed now and don’t have to drop back to the SD feed.

I think the Big 12 Network games are only being distributed in SD to the local stations, as KJRH has the ability to show the HD versions but has thus far only shown the SD versions.

7. servicetech
    Posted March 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I don’t get why syndicated HD is so difficult for local TV stations to do. A $400 PC can record and play back HD.

8. Posted March 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Now that I have a Hauppauge HD PVR that can record HD off of component video and optical audio, I wonder why all these stations don’t use the HD footage when showing sports highlights from OTA or cable/satellite HD broadcasts.

Posted March 15, 2010 at 5:17 am | Permalink

I visited with friends who live in KC Saturday. Whatever station broadcast the Big 12 Network up there had shown the entire tournament in HD, so it was available for HD-capable stations to broadcast. All that involves is having a commercial satellite receiver to receive the broadcast and feed it into your mixing board in the control room, which is what stations do to receive their network signal.

The difference for syndicated programming is that stations have to have the receiver as well as a massive storage server to hold all the gigabytes of program material, then the computers, synchronization equipment, ad servers, etc, to spit it out. Remember that it took OETA 3 years to build their new Master Control room. Despite anyone being able to do that with an EyeTV tuner and a $75 hard drive on a $800 computer, to do it at a commercial TV station costs an astronomical amount of money.

I go into lots of non-cable homes here and find spanking new LED 50-inch HDTV’s hooked up to new SD Dish and DirecTV receivers showing fat-stretched SD, so why should the TV stations go to any extra expense when these nimrods won’t even be watching it? I ask these people why they don’t have an HD receiver and they always say it’s too expensive. Just amazing.

10. TVinsider
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Servicetech, respectfully as possible, you have zero idea of what it takes to get HD syndicated programing on the air. First of all your 400 dollar pc may record and playout HD but will it talk to the automation and switcher.. No. Does it have the high end encoders and decoders and the ability to be switched in time ? No. The space that a thirty minute show takes in uncompressed braodcast quality would kill the average PC. Are the stations dragging there feet. Yes to a degree. There are quite a few technological and engineering considerations. broadcast servers are large array RAID devices with alot of redundancy. I know I work with them all day. But I will tell you that KFOR and KAUT will likely beat the other OKC stations in syndicated HD. As I have said alot of times, owners arent forking over money like they were a few years ago. We are lucky to have TP in the restrooms sometimes…

Posted March 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I was really hoping to see the Big 12 games in HD on KJRH, maybe next year.

Consumer equipment has made some leaps and bounds but it still lags commercial equipment. I would love to find a receiver that can display a DVB S2 HD mpeg 4, 4:2:2 video feed and record it. The couple on the market can display it but they have stuttering problems on the high bitrate feeds when you try to play them back, due to processing power is my guess. A receiver that can decode Dolby E and do the above would be nice too.

12. Bobarino
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Now, if we could just get KFOR to stop presenting their weather forecast like
    a cheap sleazy strip tease.

Show just a little bit now.
    Present 2 news stories.
    Show just a little bit more.
    Present 1 more news story.
    Back to the strip tease.

Mike Morgan must be behind this. 😆

13. servicetech
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

ggore, as somebody who repairs TV’s for a living I can totally understand this. I see it all the time. People go buy a top of the line TV only to have it hooked to an SD signal. How many setups have you seen where the cable/sat box is wired through a DVD/VCR combo then goes to the TV as CH3? Why cable box manufacturers continue to put RF out on the HD boxes is beyond me, most TV’s made in the past 20 years at least have one set of composite inputs. HD Sat boxes have dropped the RF out as have DVD/VCR combos.

14. trueview
    Posted March 18, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

my brother in law bought a hugh HD tv and has Directv. yet when the store offered to package in a HD directv receiver he turned them down. not only turned them down he won’t switch the outside antenna from the analog tuner to the digital HD tuner. so I am not surprized that ggore sees so many. my sister would not let me change the cable either becasue “someday” he will do it and she didn’t want him upset that anything had been moved. why the installer did not have a way to hook up both tuners i do not know.

Posted March 20, 2010 at 6:28 am | Permalink

I just don’t get it. Maybe I’m obsessed with picture quality and regular people just don’t care. The picture I put out on the cable system is quite obviously sharper and more detailed than satellite with all its compression, equal to antenna obviously, but people don’t take advantage of antenna HD even when its available. Weird.

16. Posted March 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I totally agree. I have a friend that bought an antenna just like mine and when he first put it up, he got like 35 channels between OKC and Tulsa because of where he’s situated and he had an HD tuner given to him, but yet they stopped using it when they got satellite.

The only problem I have is with KOCO-DT. They’ve had a few new series that I was interested in this year, but I haven’t watched because I know that about now as the trees fill in with leaves, I’ll be lucky to get it without it breaking up. I’m recording “Flash Forward” on both of my tuners because it varies whether I’ll get a decent recording on one or the other. I’m hoping to get through this last season of “Lost” without having to resort to downloading the shows via bit torrent like I did last season because the signal is so weak.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that KAUT, which is owned by the same company that owns KFOR, is carrying news from KFOR’s studio in HD in the mornings?

17. servicetech
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 6:53 am | Permalink

I can see not using OTA if you have HD cable or SAT. Compression isn’t bad enough for most people to notice on HD feeds from cable/sat. On SD SAT the local channels just look awful IMHO, comparable to VCR quality. Most people can’t be bothered with switching sources for different channels.