Masters in 3D on Cox in OKC and Tulsa

Tip from hdtver,

If you are interested in checking this out, here is link then “More details on getting ready for 3DTV” The information is specific to Samsung and Panasonic models.

The specifics of most interest are that the broadcasts will occur on April 7,8,9.10 and 11. HDMI 1.4 and 3D glasses/goggles that work with Sumsung and Panasonic are required. The real bummer: 3D-Ready TVs purchased before February 2010 will not support the HDMI 1.4 specification and will not work for the Masters broadcasts. So says the Cox website.

Further notes…

Cox Oklahoma tweeted that the 3D channel will be on channel 710 in OKC and Tulsa. If you don’t have a 3D TV you can see the Masters in 3D at the Edmond and Norman Cox stores in the OKC area or the Cox Riverside store in Tulsa.

This entry was posted in Cable TV, Oklahoma City, Programming, Tulsa. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Sooner Al
    Posted April 9, 2010 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Did anyone go down to any of the Cox 3D sites to see the broadcast and if so how was it?

2. mscott
    Posted April 9, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I went into the Norman store yesterday to check it out. They had one pair of glasses in the viewing area already in use… but were nice enough to dig a second pair out of the back room for me.

After watching about 10 minutes of it, I thought the broadcast looked really good. The shots with a golfer in the foreground and spectators in the background really popped. The display unit appeared to be a Samsung LCD (LED?) TV with matching glasses.

I have a 3D-ready DLP (that’s in need of an HDMI 1.4 converter to checkerboard format, coming this summer) and will probably pick up one if amount of content continues to increase.

Posted April 14, 2010 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Probably 3 people in the entire state dumb enough to buy one of the incompatible versions of 3DTV’s and $100+ glasses, and the networks and TV stations are jumping all over themselves to send out a 3D signal. Meanwhile these same stations refuse to transmit HD local news, local HD programming of any kind, nor any HD syndicated programming AT ALL to the millions of HDTV sets that are already in place in peoples’ homes! What is wrong with these people?

4. mscott
    Posted April 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

I haven’t read anything that suggests our local TV stations are “jumping all over themselves” to offer 3D content. They’re obviously the ones that need to continue investing to provide syndicated HD, local news in HD, etc. I highly doubt they’d want to invest in 3D without making some of the improvements you listed first.

As far as I can tell, offering parts of the Masters in 3D was a marketing gimmick constructed by Comcast and Cox to beat DirecTV to the 3D punch. It obviously had little impact on the consumer practically speaking.

I guess I’m probably one of those people “dumb enough to buy one” because of the novelty. I also had an HDTV in 1999, back when you had to be lucky enough for KFOR to turn on their low-powered transmitter to see any digital TV OTA content in OKC. Maybe that does make me dumb. 🙂

Posted April 15, 2010 at 3:47 am | Permalink

There are several different types of 3D used by TV set manufacturers, that are incompatible with each other’s viewing glasses. There is no set standard as there was when stations began broadcasting HDTV, so you weren’t dumb to buy that first HDTV.

If you buy a 3DTV right now, the glasses you pay extra for when you buy that TV might not work when you take them to your neighbor’s house to watch that 3D movie on the new ESPN-3D, Discovery-3D, DirecTV-3D channel or Dish3D channel or any of the other channels that are supposed to begin broadcasting in the next couple of months, or the 3D programs scheduled for broadcast TV.

Last I checked there are 3-4 different types of glasses, each $100 or more, and this to me is where the “dumb” factor comes in. Are you going to keep 3-4 different types of $100-150 battery-powered glasses lying around just in case you go to friends’ to watch that big game and you want to be able to see it? Or do you expect your friend to keep 8-10 extra pair of $100-150 battery-powered 3D glasses lying around for their friends to use when they visit?

6. mscott
    Posted April 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

When I bought that first Mitsubishi monstrosity in 1999, there was no one standard for attaching high definition devices to the television. It happened to support RGBHV via five BNC connectors. Obviously, the industry went a different way — component — and towards the end of that TV’s life, it was nearly impossible to find a converter. Rapid obsolesce is certainly a risk you run when becoming an early adopter. It’s not for everyone.

If you spend several thousand dollars for a television and 3D is important to you, then buying an extra set (two pairs) of glasses for a hundred dollars doesn’t seem terribly outrageous to me. If you had a very large family or packed your living room full of friends, the economics of it may not be appealing. However, my family is small and my friends aren’t allowed inside the house, so I don’t necessarily have that constraint. 🙂

Personally, I’m a fan or progress in any and every form. I’m avidly for watching Jeopardy in HD… but I’ll certainly take anything I can get.

7. hdtver
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I was in the Sam’s Club in Edmond today and saw the Monster brand HDMI v.1.4 cables for $49.94. I forget how long they were.