DirecTV to Add More HDTV Channels in May

DirecTV announced today they will be launching more HDTV channels beginning in May.

Here is a list of channels:

• CSN Bay Area HD
  • Univision HD East
  • HBO Zone HD
  • WGN HD
  • Lifetime HD
  • Additional DIRECTV Cinema Channels
  • MSNBC HD
This entry was posted in Programming, Satellite. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Posted April 21, 2010 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Basically they will be using the new satellite they launched in December for more Premium, Pay-per-view, and regional feed sports channels, and only a few regular channels. Still no Turner Classic HD, History Intl HD, NatGeoWildHD, Headline NewsHD, G4HD, and StyleHD, among others. This may be the tipping point that makes me switch.

2. Posted April 22, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

That’s surprising since I already get these through Dish and haven’t changed packages in two years:

Hallmark Movie Channel HD
    Travel Channel HD
    WGN HD
    Lifetime HD

MSNBC is on Dish, but I don’t get that one. The only channel Dish has that I don’t get and wish I did is BBC America HD.

3. trueview
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

BBC America is indeed on DISH I also like the NGO Wild that was finally added. Same for Fox Soccer that I saw discussed somewhere on the cite.

4. Posted April 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Actually, I just noticed I have two channels that were added to my package: SHRTS and EPIX1. I’m not sure about the second one, but the first seems to only show short films. The other has some pretty good movies in the lineup. Of course, they’ve also added INDIE and RETRO, which have more 50 percent of their movies in HD. All in all, $30/month is a pretty good deal for nearly 60 HD channels.

5. trueview
    Posted April 25, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

DISH TV has been adding new HD channels from time to time without any fanfare. if you haVE reciever like mine they do not automatically show up. To keep updated I go to favorites list and scan looking for the new ones and then click them into my list. I think SHRTS stands for short –meaning short films. Now if we could get the monster channel back [i am still a kid at heart].

Posted June 1, 2010 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Well, it’s the end of May and I noticed that my DirecTV has added MSNBC HD and Travel HD but nothing else of note. They added Cooking Channel when it turned on over the weekend, but of course it’s not HD, just really blurry SD like Fine Living was.

7. trueview
    Posted July 6, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

does DIRECTV follow Dish in somethimgs dropping an HD channel when they add a new HD channel? even if i do not whatch that channel it is irritating.