Blizzard of 2011 – HD Weather Closings

One of the problems with being first to market is that your gear gets old before the stations that waited to buy their equipment. Perhaps it’s just me, but I find KFOR’s weather graphics offensive because they take up half the screen with big ugly blue graphics. I recorded The Cape last night and am going to have to try and track down that episode on the internet because it’s not watchable with that much blue on the screen.

KOCO is better with it’s blue crawl at the bottom of the screen, but I like the more subtle approach that KWTV took with white letters on black that don’t overpower what you’re trying to watch.

What about stations in other parts of the state? Does Tulsa have it together?

This entry was posted in Oklahoma City, Opinion, Production. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Newshawk
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Looking at KWTV is looking at KOTV, except for the personnel. KOTV was on the air from 4:30 AM until 3:00 PM on February 2nd, then was on an extra hour on February 3rd for post-blizzard coverage and then was on until 10:00 AM on both KOTV and KWTV to cover the rescue near Miami.

I did peek in at KTUL and KJRH a bot on Tuesday. KJRH was OK, but I have to agree the KOTV/KWTV crawls are both readable and unobtrusive. KTUL, however, looks so old and tired any more. They had their picture squeezed with a three sided blue box that had “CLOSINGS” vertically on either side and the crawl at the bottom-then, on HD, they had an additional set of blue bars outside of the 4:3 ones. Talk about looking through a keyhole! I did not get to see KOKI, however-I’m still not thinking of them as a news source. I’m sure they looked good, but even in 16:9 SD, I think KOTV looks better. They also stayed on the story longer.

• Newshawk
      Posted February 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Grrrr… I meant to say “…and then was on until 10:00 AM Thursday, February 4th, on both KOTV and KWTV to cover the rescue near Miami.” Oh, how I wish we could edit our posts!

2. Posted February 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

To the right of your avatar, where it has the date/time, do you also have links to the permalink and an “edit” link? Perhaps that’s just because I’m an admin, but let me know and I’ll see what I can figure out to make that easier.

Posted February 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I agree KOTV/KQCW has the best in Tulsa now.

Fox23 is not bad either since their jump to HD a week ago. They just have a blue bar with white letters scrolling the info, sometimes there is a white box at the end of the blue box with time and temp in black letters.

KJRH being the first on the scene with local HD shrinks the video box down with slim light blue bars on the side with info running below. The benefit is that the video remains untouched, but it hard to watch and I hate giving up screen real estate to colored bars.

KTUL I just avoid, with their giant banner panels on the side and small video box. It is a waste of screen real estate. I hate watching their news with their giant newschannel 8 side banners too.

Posted February 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

OK I take it back. Trying to watch Smallville with a big state map center cut on the HD image on KQCW was very annoying. I move Fox 23 to the top in Tulsa now.

Posted February 6, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

It’s been a week now, I would think one would know whether or not your church is having services today without having to check the TV. I would hope KOKH will turn off their crawl for the Super Bowl.

• Posted February 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Thankfully, someone at KOKH realized that we all know schools are going to be closed tomorrow, or at least one day this week. No crawl for the Super Bowl!

6. cartman
    Posted February 8, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink

2 Things of note.

Why can’t they move the map a little farther to the right?

Also, what’s with Channel 9’s endorsement from Mathis brothers for the bottom scroll?

7. edladd
    Posted February 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Ummm that’s called advertising lol

8. edladd
    Posted February 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Everything is sponsored anymore…next up will be Kelly Ogle’s hair

9. servicetech
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 7:23 am | Permalink

When reporting weather why not put regular programing on the secondary feed?

• Posted February 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

If they put regular programming on the secondary feed, they run into a few problems: most people don’t realize that the stations have a second channel and the cable channels rarely carry the secondary channels. In addition, putting the programming on a secondary feed downgrades the quality to where it’s not worth watch since those secondary channels do not have HD. In addition, KWTV doesn’t yet have a second channel that I’m aware of.

• servicetech
        Posted February 11, 2011 at 7:29 am | Permalink

The Secondary feed looks as good as watching online. Most people who get their signal OTA realize there is a #2 feed on many channels. People with digital cable can get the Secondary feeds for most OTA channels, people with analog cable would just be in the same spot they are now, no worse/better. It wouldn’t cost anything for TV stations to do this, and they might even get a little more advertising revenue from people “discovering” the secondary feed. IMHO a good solution for when the news is preventing a show from being aired, otherwise the “KWTV solution” is best.

• Posted February 13, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Funny. I watched OSU play basketball against Nebraska online yesterday and I was thinking the game looked better on ESPN3 over the internet than OSU’s games normally look on KOCB’s main digital channel.

• doublej
            Posted February 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Since it didn’t involve OU or OSU KJRH moved the Big 12 game last wednesday to 2.2 in place of the weather info and kept NBC programming on the main channel. It actually looked pretty good for a 4:3 SD feed.

If you have the bandwidth ESPN 3 can look really good. I watched a lot of CFL games thru my HTPC on the 60inch from ESPN 3 and it was pretty good looking, not HD but better than some of my satellite channels

Posted February 15, 2011 at 5:09 am | Permalink

The thing is, these Big 12 Network games are available in HD, they have been for years now. And it is time for the local stations to make the investment in capability to show them in HD. Everyone else in the Big 12 broadcast area gets to see them in HD but the viewers in Oklahoma City.

• doublej
      Posted February 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

We get the weekend games in HD on KJRH but the week night games have still been SD