KWTV to repurpose News Now 53

On April 1, Griffin Communications will take over operation of NewsNow 53 from Cox Communications, and will re-brand it as News 9 Now, placing it on digital broadcast channel 9.2 as part of their off-air signal. This will allow all cable operators to take advantage of the NewsNow concept, and allow all off-air viewers to see it as well. This will also give KWTV an additional outlet for weather coverage, taking pressure off their main 9.1 signal in times of severe weather coverage, according to information from Griffin Television.

Update April 1, 2011: Channel 9.2 has be renamed to News 9 Now. Can anyone tell a difference in the picture quality of 9.1?

This entry was posted in Programming. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Newshawk
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I wonder if they will do this with the Tulsa News Now? They could easily drop the simulcast of KQCW on 6.2 and substitute the News repeat feed.

• doublej
      Posted February 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

The last I heard, they were keeping 6.2 up as a reliable cw source for cable systems to the north of Tulsa that have a hard time reliably receiving the HD feed on 19.1

2. Posted February 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure if you noticed, but KOCO-DT is now carrying This TV on its secondary channel. I don’t know when they started doing this or if it’s the only thing they carry on that channel.

I really wish ABC had stuck it out with ABC News Now, which they ran back in 2004. It was sort of like a poor man’s CNN and was a 24-hour ABC News feed. Maybe KWTV will do that, but I doubt there will be a CBS component that would raise the quality. Plus, it will compete on some level with KFOR’s KAUT channel, which carries HD news beyond the Today Show.

Posted February 17, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Sorry about that, I forgot to mention in my original post that Griffin will be adding Tulsa News Now to KOTV as a re-branded News On 6 on their secondary digital channel.

KOCO started carrying ThisTV 2-3 weeks ago. It is a “network” specifically tailored to stations’ secondary channels, carrying old vintage TV shows and movies, such that TV Land used to carry. Another channel like this is AntennaTV, that KFOR will be launching in the next few months, when NBC shuts down their WeatherPlus channel. If you like old TV, and now that TV Land has abandoned its original format like MTV and CMT, etc, these channels have some decent stuff on them, they aren’t just all endless reruns of Brady Bunch.

4. Bobby8200
    Posted February 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Yes, they do have Sanford and Son, I can hardly wait for this channel to be available in May. Here is the Antenna Tv website.

5. servicetech
    Posted February 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

I’m really glad to see this. No interference on the main channel when the weather gets bad is awesome.

Posted February 24, 2011 at 5:00 am | Permalink

AntennaTV, which launches in May on KFOR’s secondary digital channel, does carry Sanford & Son, so get ready!

7. quanah
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

KCEN 6.2 in Waco has been This TV for a few months now. They regularly preempt programming for sporting events including Bob Stoops and Sherry Cole coaching shows. OU women has been carried on ch 6.2 on a few occasions. Logo says OU Sports Network as I recall, when they played K-State.

Ch 6.2 carried OU and A&M women but it was the A&M network.

Many OU alumni in Waco, so there are some happy people here with ch 6.2’s OU coverage.

Some locals have been angered. OU-K-State is on a local station and Baylor-Texas has no TV coverage at all.

Thanks for Antenna TV info. I just read that overbuilder Grande Communications in San Antonio added Antenna TV. I had no idea what they were.

8. quanah
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 7:42 am | Permalink

OU basketball coach Jeff Capel was on ch 6.2 last night at 11PM.

9. servicetech
    Posted March 3, 2011 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I checked out the AntennaTV lineup, I’m surprised there aren’t many shows that are newer than 1990. Airing shows that you have to be 40+ to remember watching as kids may be fatal to the networks success. I’ll be 40 this year and don’t remember 1/2 the shows they have listed on there, but then again I didn’t watch a whole lot of TV as a kid. Too busy playing outside like kids used to do back in the day.

10. quanah
    Posted March 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Last night ch 6.2 aired Texas Tech-OU men. OU coverage here is about as good as one can get in Midwest City. FSN Southwest also carried the game. First time I’ve seen this.

I wonder if KCEN’s new owner is an Oklahoman.

11. quanah
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 5:45 am | Permalink

OU women vs Texas Tech today at 2PM on KCEN ch 6.2.

Posted March 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

We had 19.2 listed as KQCW-MN show up today in Tulsa in the OTA channel lineups. Thought this might have something to do with the rebranding of one of the subchannels to the News Now format. I also heard a rumor that maybe Griffin was moving ThisTV from 6.3 to 19.2, but I am wondering if this might be ThisTV’s new sister network MeTV that shows classic tv series.

Posted March 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Well this kinda stinks. I was really hoping they would get rid of the sd subchannel of the CW on 6.2 and give that bandwidth back to the main HD channel or put the news now channel there, instead we get bandwidth taken away from the the CW HD channel to move This TV over to 19.2 so the News Now channel can take over 6.3 and they keep the useless sd CW subchannel.

KOTV – The News On 6
    Beginning April 1, 2011, News On 6 Now (formerly News Now 53) will be available to Oklahomans over the air on KOTV/News On 6

14. wwtowe
    Posted April 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Does anyone get 5.1 audio on channel 9 I only get audio from front rt & lt speakers, no sound from center or surround speakers.

Posted April 4, 2011 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Sounds like the situation on the ACM awards last night, there was hardly any audio on the center channel speaker, as if the performer’s microphone was not turned on. I thought it was a CBS mixing problem at the venue, but maybe not.

• cableguy278
      Posted April 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I made a comment about this problem quite a while back. However, it seems that KWTV has at least fixed this problem for their CBS-delivered programming (at least as far as NCIS was concerned last Tuesday). Their local programming still has no center channel, as everything comes out of the Left and Right front channels.

Posted April 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Looks like MeTv is coming to KOKI in Tulsa. 23.2 popped into the channel lineup today and Newport Tv is on the list of broadcasters that just signed up for meTv affiliation with Weigel Broadcasting this past week.

• doublej
      Posted April 8, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Hearing it may be thecooltv music station instead of MeTv.

Posted April 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Well so much for Griffin using the newsnow channel for weather alerts. They have preempted programming on 6.1 for weather and 6.3 is still showing a repeat of the 6 o’clock news along with commercials. Like I figured, a true waste of bandwidth.

Posted April 9, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

The plan to use secondary channels for severe weather coverage was doomed from the start, because the satellite services Dish and DirecTV do not carry secondary channels from any TV station. With a sizable percentage of viewers and the vast majority of viewers in rural areas watching TV through these satellite services, there is no way the TV stations can get information to those people through their .2 channels. The best they can do is stick their main program onto the sub-channels in SD form while they keep the tornado coverage on the main channel. At least those of us who watch cable or off-air will be able to see regular programming that way.

19. quanah
    Posted April 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

ggore, Waco KWTX ch 10.2 the CW is indeed carried by DirecTV in HD along with ch 10.1 CBS. KWTX is a Gray owned station as is ch 12 Ardmore. KWTX has the ability to broadcast 2 HD streams. All other Waco sub-channels are not carried by DirecTV. I don’t know about Dish.

Weather info and warnings are broadcast on both KWTX channels. The NBC affiliate here brodcasts weather info and warnings on 2 sub-channels along with the main, as does our ABC affiliate KXXV (Lawton KSWO corporate). Our Fox affilliate 44 has no weather info or warnings, except for HD local news, weather, and sports at 9 PM. I understand they have a “poor guy” waiver from the FCC.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Since this is a website about Oklahoma HDTV, my statement applies to Oklahoma TV stations, and neither Dish nor DirecTV carries secondary channels from any Oklahoma TV station that I know of. The situation might be different if a station in a small market like Waco where one broadcaster carries CBS on one feed and CW on the other feed, if there is no dedicated CW station in the market, since CW is considered by Dish and DirecTV to be a “major” network. ThisTV, News9Now, TCN, and the 4-5 TBN feeds are not considered to be major networks.

21. Posted April 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Anyone else notice that the PSIP info changed at some point last week? My EyeTV device suddenly started recording 9-2 instead of 9-1. I missed a few nights of Letterman and instead had replays of the local news.

22. quanah
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

I had hoped this site might include Oklahoma related. I apologize for butting in. Please forgive me.

23. HDTVLover